Royer Labs R-121 Matched Pair
R-121MP - Factory Matched Pair of R-121 Microphones
Perfect for stereo applications.
About the R-121 Studio Ribbon Microphone
leased in 1998, the award-winning R-121 is our flagship microphone; the world's first radically reengineered ribbon microphone and the model that reintroduced ribbon mics to engineers around the world. We did away with the large, heavy, fragile "classic" approach to ribbon microphones and went in a completely new direction. The R-121 gives all of the warmth and natural sound that experienced engineers have long turned to ribbon mics for, but in a compact, light-weight, high output and tough-as-nails package that was unheard of in a ribbon mic before the R-121. In its 10+ years in the market, thousands of R-121's have been sold around the world and it's well established as a standard for tracking electric guitar and brass.
The R-121 redefined ribbon microphones so completely that Recording Magazine wrote "...the Royer R-121 is destined to become one of the classic microphones of the 21st century."
Like many of the best classic ribbon mics, the R-121 has a figure-8 pattern, output level comparable to a dynamic mic, and a warm, realistic tone and flat frequency response. But that's where the similarities end. By using advanced materials and a blend of cutting edge and old-school, hand-build construction techniques, the R-121 is an extremely versatile and user-friendly ribbon mic that can stand up to the most demanding tasks. Cranked up electric guitars, close up brass, drums - you name it, the R-121 will help you record it with realism you have to hear to believe.
We build the R-121 solid enough to give it a lifetime warranty. We expect you to own it for as long as you record, and we'll stand behind it the whole way.
Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
The R-121's proprietary offset ribbon transducer (Patent # 6,434,252) is the first of its kind, positioning the ribbon element closer to the front (logo) side of the microphone. This arrangement gives the ribbon more room to move within the prime magnetic field while maintaining full frequency response during high SPL recordings. It's an integral piece of the magic of all Royer R-series microphones.
- High SPL Capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Electric Guitar Amps
- Brass Instruments
- Horn Sections
- Drum Rooms
- Kick Drum
- Percussion Instruments
- Acoustic Piano
- Acoustic Guitar
- String Instruments & Sections
- Choirs & Orchestras
- Commercial Broadcast
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -50 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: >135dB @ 20 Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: 155.7mm L, 25mm W (6.13" L, 1" W) Weight: 244g (8.6 oz) Finish: Dull Satin Nickel/Matte Black Chrome optional
Llifetime warranty to the original owner and the first re-ribbon is free.