Royer Labs R-122 MkIIL-MP
A Factory Matched Pair of Royer R-122 MKll Live Active Ribbon Microphones™
About the R-122MKII Live:
The R-122 MKll Live is a road-optimized version of our phantom powered R-122 MK-ll ribbon microphone. The R-122 MKll Live's output is on par with phantom powered condenser mics, allowing for long cable runs and the occasional sub-par mic preamps, and its switchable -15 dB pad and bass-cut filter deliver unprecedented flexibility on electric guitars, drum overheads, trumpets and other live instruments. Most importantly, it produces the warm, realistic sounds that only ribbon mics can deliver. Along with its smooth, natural response, the R-122 MKll Live virtually eliminates the shrill high-end often encountered with live guitars, brass and drum cymbals. Push up the faders and there's the instrument in all its fullness, minus the peaky highs that FOH and Monitor engineers spend so much of their careers fighting.
The R-122 MKll’s switchable -15 dB pad is positioned before the microphone’s electronics and, when engaged, eliminates headroom-related distortion or preamplifier overload on even the loudest sound sources. Wide open electric guitars are no problem. With the pad in, the R-122 MKll’s output is actually 2 dB lower than our flagship R-121.
The Bass Cut:
When switched in, the R-122 MKll’s bass cut starts filtering at 100 Hz, 6 dB per octave, effectively reducing the mic’s bass buildup due to proximity effect. This smooth filter is extremely useful on close-miked electric guitars when less bottom end is desired.
The R-122 MKll’s electronics are hand-wired in our Burbank, CA factory. The microphone utilizes a special Royer-designed toroidal transformer that delivers a faster transient response then traditional ribbons. This produces a tighter, more focused low end and a sense of more open highs than with traditional ribbons, making it a first call ribbon mic for drum overheads and percussion. The R-122 MKll Live can be used on extremely long cable runs with minimal RF interference and signal loss, and the ribbon element cannot be damaged by phantom power, miswired cables or electrical glitches.
The R-122 MKll Live is visually differentiated by its red logo. The ribbon element thickness is increased from 2.5-microns to 4-microns, giving the microphone greater durability and a slightly reduced high end response. Highs are often rolled off in live performances, but due to the R-122 MKll Live's smooth high frequency response, it needs less eq'ing than is usually required with condenser and dynamic microphones.
The R-122 MKll Live is backed with Royer's lifetime warranty to the original owner, and the first re-ribbon is free. We expect it to work as hard as you do, so we stand behind it all the way. As with any high end microphone, proper storage during transit and careful handling during setup and breakdown is key to keeping the microphone in good working order.
Figure-8's On Stage
The R-122 MKll Live's pickup pattern is figure-8, which can be used to control stage bleed with great effect. Side rejection in the null points is strong – simply position the mics "ears" to face the offending instrument(s) and bleed will be virtually eliminated. The top and bottom of the microphone are also null points. If monitors are in close proximity to the rear side of the microphone, a positioning adjustment can place the monitors output in the mic's null, isolating the monitor from the mic's pickup areas.
Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
The R-122 MKll Live's proprietary offset ribbon transducer (Patent # 6,434,252) is the first of its kind, positioning the ribbon element closer to the front (logo) side of the microphone. This arrangement gives the ribbon more room to move within the prime magnetic field while maintaining full frequency response on high SPL applications. It's an integral piece of the magic of all Royer R-series microphones.
- Phantom powered circuitry provides high output and impedance matching
- -15 dB pad before the mic’s electronics gives more headroom when activated.
- Bass cut filter reduces proximity effect and bass below 100 Hz when activated
- High SPL Capabilities
- No distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Rear side of mic records slightly brighter when three feet or closer to sound source
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient with active
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 4-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 - 15,000 Hz ±3 dB
- Sensitivity: -36 dB (re. 1v/pa ±1 dB)
- Switchable Pad: -15 dB
- Switchable Bass Cut: 100 Hz (6 dB per octave)
- Self-Noise: < 18 dB
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms, balanced
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3-pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Rated Load Impedance: 1K-Ohm minimum
- Maximum SPL: 135 dB @ 30 Hz
- Power Requirements: 48-Volt Phantom Only
- Supply Current: 4 mA
- Dimensions: 206mm L X 25mm W (8 1/8” L X 1” W)
- Weight: 309 grams (10.9 oz)
- Finish: Burnished Satin Nickel / Matte Black
- Accessories: Protective wood case, mic sock
Optional Accessories: Wind screen, shock mount
- Microphone Warranty: Lifetime to original owner (repair or replace
at Royer’s option)
- Ribbon Element Warranty: One Year
Llifetime warranty to the original owner and the first re-ribbon is free.